LCUMC believes in being an externally focused church, taking our church out into the community and showing that through Christ we can make the world a better place. By doing this we live in and through the power of God and the love of Jesus Christ. If you’re interested in using your skills and passion helping those in the larger Leland community, contact us and start serving today!
The Outreach Committee strives to provide tangible opportunities to be God’s hands and feet in Leelanau County, our state, our country and the world. God has given each of us special talents, passions, and resources to help others. Many in our congregation are volunteering in a variety of community activities. An active and growing church strives to serve others and show God’s love beyond our church doors. Here is a list of projects in our area. If you are volunteering in a project that is not listed, please contact us!
Organizations with year-round opportunities:
- Leelanau Christian Neighbors (LCN) | www.leelanauchristianneighbors.org
- Safe Harbor (homeless shelter in TC) | www.gtsafeharbor.org
- Central Methodist Community Outreach Program Lunches | www.tccentralumc.org
- Samaritans Closet | www.samscloset.org
- Art and Soul North
- 5Loaves2Fish LCUMC Outreach
International Organization needing year-round support
- Kids First Uganda (School Scholarships, Music Education, Youth Soccer, Women’s Sewing and Beautician Training, etc.) | www.kidsfirstuganda.com
Local Organizations with Seasonal Opportunities
- Bridge (tutoring and mentoring) Program at Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Mentoring Program at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Aids (non-classroom) at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Teacher’s assistants at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
Northport Indian Mission United Methodist Church
Join us on the third Saturday of May each year to help with the clean-up of the Northport Indian Mission United Methodist Church, campground and cemetery. We work together with volunteers from the Central Methodist Church, Traverse City, and members of the Northport Indian Mission Church (www.northportindianumc.org)
CROP Hunger Walk is an interfaith march to alleviate hunger world-wide and is sponsored by the Church World Service. The CROP Walk against Hunger is typically be held in October, and more information will be posted here as it becomes available.