LCUMC believes in being an externally focused church, taking our church out into the community and showing that through Christ we can make the world a better place. By doing this we can show the poor and needy the power of God and the love of Jesus Christ.
If you’re interested in using your skills and passion helping those in the community who are less fortunate contact us and start serving today!
LCUMC is a beacon of Christ’s unconditional love; providing refuge, ministry and service to each other, our community and the world. The Missions and Outreach Committee strives to provide tangible opportunities to be God’s hands and feet in Leelanau County, our state, our country and the world.
God has given each of us special talents, passions, and resources to help others. Many in our congregation are volunteering in a variety of community activities. An active and growing church strives to serve others and show God’s love beyond our church doors. Here is a list of projects in our area. If you are volunteering in a project that is not listed, please contact us!
Volunteers from LCUMC are needed to assist the following organizations in the Leelanau County and Traverse City areas by contributing their time. Those interested in volunteering can call the organization directly or, if there isn’t a website, by contacting the missions team.
Organizations with year-round opportunities
- Leelanau Christian Neighbors (LCN) | www.leelanauchristianneighbors.org
- Safe Harbor (homeless shelter in TC) | www.gtsafeharbor.org
- Central Methodist Community Outreach Program Lunches | www.tccentralumc.org
- Samaritans Closet | www.samscloset.org
- Art and Soul North
- 5Loaves2Fish LCUMC Outreach
International Organization needing year-round support
- Kids First Uganda (School Scholarships, Music Education, Youth Soccer, Women’s Sewing and Beautician Training, etc.) | www.kidsfirstuganda.com
Local Organizations with Seasonal Opportunities
- Bridge (tutoring and mentoring) Program at Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Mentoring Program at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Aids (non-classroom) at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Teacher’s assistants at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
Annual Special Projects
Assisting the Northport Indian Mission United Methodist Church
Join us on the third Saturday of May each year to help with the clean-up of the Northport Indian Mission United Methodist Church, campground and cemetery with Pastor Terry Wildman and volunteers from the Central Methodist Church, Traverse City.
CROP Hunger Walk is an interfaith march to alleviate hunger world-wide and is sponsored by the Church
World Service. The 2019 CROP Walk against Hunger will be held in October, and more information will be posted here as it becomes available.