LCUMC believes in being an externally focused church, taking our church out into the community and showing that through Christ we can make the world a better place. By doing this we can show the poor and needy the power of God and the love of Jesus Christ.
If you’re interested in using your skills and passion helping those in the community who are less fortunate contact us and start serving today!
LCUMC is a beacon of Christ’s unconditional love; providing refuge, ministry and service to each other, our community and the world. The Missions and Outreach Committee strives to provide tangible opportunities to be God’s hands and feet in Leelanau County, our state, our country and the world.
God has given each of us special talents, passions, and resources to help others. Many in our congregation are volunteering in a variety of community activities. An active and growing church strives to serve others and show God’s love beyond our church doors. Here is a list of projects in our area. If you are volunteering in a project that is not listed, please contact us!
Volunteers from LCUMC are needed to assist the following organizations in the Leelanau County and Traverse City areas by contributing their time. Those interested in volunteering can call the organization directly or, if there isn’t a website, by contacting the missions team.
Organizations with year-round opportunities
- Leelanau Christian Neighbors (LCN) | www.leelanauchristianneighbors.org
- Leland Library | www.lelandlibrary.org
- Safe Harbor (homeless shelter in TC) | www.gtsafeharbor.org
- Central Methodist Community Outreach Program Breakfasts | www.tccentralumc.org
- Central Methodist Community Outreach Program Lunches | www.tccentralumc.org
- Samaritans Closet | www.samscloset.org
- Leelanau Early Childhood Development Corporation (LECDC)
- Prayer Shawl Ministry
- Art and Soul North
International Organization needing year-round support
- Kids First Uganda (Sponsor a child’s education!) | www.kidsfirstuganda.com
Local Organizations with Seasonal Opportunities
- Bridge (tutoring and mentoring) Program at Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Mentoring Program at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Aids (non-classroom) at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
- Teacher’s assistants at the Leland Public School | www.lelandschool.com
Annual Special Projects
Assisting the Northport Indian Mission United Methodist Church
Join us on the third Saturday of May each year to help with the clean-up of the Northport Indian Mission United Methodist Church, campground and cemetery with Pastor Terry Wildman and volunteers from the Central Methodist Church, Traverse City.
Assisting the Spirit Journey Camp at the Northport Indian Mission campground
Due to unexpected circumstances, the 2018 Spirit Journey camp scheduled for August had to be cancelled.
Brandon Smith and Brenda Hendley are making plans for the camp to resume next year. They greatly appreciate
the efforts of the members of the Leland Community United Methodist Church and would like to continue their
relationship with us. Information on the 2019 camp will be posted in late spring or early summer when it
Your Missions and Outreach Committee
CROP Hunger Walk is an interfaith march to alleviate hunger world-wide and is sponsored by the Church
World Service. The walk will be held on Sunday October 7. LCUMC walkers can register at the desk in the
Narthex on Sundays September 23 and 30 and October 7. People wanting to donate can give their money to
any of the walkers or to the Mission Committee members at the beginning of church on the dates above.
The walk begins at the Omena Presbyterian Church. Registration begins at 1:30, at which time the money is
turned in. The walk begins at 2 PM. People of all ages are involved. Come out and join us!